Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Native American Wampum 


Do Now: What was your favorite part of our apple picking field trip to Ochs Orchard? Draw a picture and write one sentence.

"Picking apples."

"Picking apples."

"My favorite part was when me and my friends made up a band on the bus."

"My favorite part was when I was on the bus sleeping."

"My favorite part was when Nicholas and I saw a caterpillar." 

"Eating one of our apples without washing them!!"

As a continuation of our Native American Art unit, the 3rd and 4th graders learned about wampum today. 

Wampum are tradition shell beads made by tribes in the northeast United States. The beads are made from channeled whelk shells and quahog shells, so they are always purple and white. 

Not only were wampum woven into beautiful accessories (such as bracelets, necklaces, and belts) but they were also used as a form of currency, or money. 

Take a look at some examples of real Native American below...





Unfortunately we did not have access to channelled whelk shells and quahog shells, so we made do with purple and white plastic pony beads and some hemp twine. 

The finished products looked great! 








Click here to make your own wampum online with this virtual wampum weave.





No comments:

Post a Comment