Monday, November 4, 2013

What are you thankful for?

Do Now: If you ruled your own country, what would your flag look like? Why? Design your flag, then write one sentence that explains why your flag looks the way it does. 


"My flag has a sun and smile because my country is named Sunny Smiles." 
"CatLand flag represents cat lovers."

"My flag represents how people love the Earth and care for people who live there."

"Why because vikings are fierce and I want to be fierce."

Now that November is here, we started off class by reading "In November" by Cynthia Rylant. The book has beautiful illustrations, and discusses the transition from fall to winter.

Though thanksgiving is still a few weeks away, today's class was dedicated to giving thanks and reflecting on the upcoming holiday.

After a class meeting about what it means to be 'thankful', students were given a piece of paper with the words "I am thankful for…" written on it. Students wrote and illustrated what they were thankful for, and mounted their pictures on colorful construction paper.

Next, we will put all our pictures together to make a 'quilt' of what we are thankful for. We are looking forward to hanging our quilt in the common room for everyone to enjoy!

"I am thankful for my mother and father because they take care of me and take me to school."

"I am thankful for my sister because I play with her in the park."

"I am thankful for my big sister because she helps me with my homework." 
"I am thankful for my school. I learn many things there."

"I am thankful for my building because I am safe in it."

"I am thankful for a family and good health because some people do not have a family or good health."

"I am thankful for Ms. L because if I didn't [have her-, I won't a teacher to teach me art."


No comments:

Post a Comment