Monday, November 18, 2013

Eric Carle

Do Now: If you could have anything grow on trees, what would you choose?

"The tree has jolly ranchers, ice cream, Kit Kats, gummy bears, gummy worms, and hershey kisses."

"I put bows on the tree. Bows are pretty."

"A flan tree. Because I love flan."

"It would be [a] notebook [tree] because I like to draw and write."

"I am growing hearts out of my tree."

Today the 1st and 2nd grade began to study a new author/illustrator: Eric Carle.

To start off class, we read the Eric Carle classic "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". You can listen to it below.



After reading the story, we talked about Eric Carle's artistic style. The students observed that Eric Carle uses collage, rather than painting or drawing. 

For our project students got to experiment with collage, using colorful printed paper to make images of caterpillars, butterflies, flowers, and food! 












No comments:

Post a Comment